Gallery 400 began in 1901 as the J. Kennard & Sons Carpet Company, a high-end carpet and furniture dealer. The building was designed by renowned St. Louis architect Isaac S. Taylor and was to be a marvel of modern engineering. It boasted electric elevators, cold storage for tapestries, and was designed to be completely fire-proof.
The Edison Brother Shoes Company took over 400 Washington in 1954 modernizing the interior and later adding an addition to the west.
In 2012, the building was fully renovated, with the upper floors being converted to luxury apartments and the first floor space becoming the 6,500 square foot Gallery 400 Event Space.